Beige is variously described as a pale sandy fawn shade, a grayish tan, a light-grayish yellowish brown, or a pale to grayish yellow. It takes its title from French, the place the phrase initially meant pure wool that has been neither bleached nor dyed, therefore additionally the colour of pure wool. It has come for use to explain quite a lot of mild tints chosen for his or her impartial or pale heat look.
Beige was used as a shade time period in France starting roughly 1855–60; the author Edmond de Goncourt used it within the novel La Fille Elisa in 1877. The primary recorded use of beige as a shade title in English was in 1887.
Beige is notoriously troublesome to provide in conventional offset CMYK printing due to the low ranges of inks used on every plate; usually it is going to print in purple or inexperienced and differ inside a print run.
Numerous beige colours
Cosmic latte is a reputation assigned in 2002 to the common shade of the universe (derived from a sampling of the electromagnetic radiation from 200,000 galaxies), given by a crew of astronomers from Johns Hopkins College.
Cream is the colour of the cream produced by cattle grazing on pure pasture with crops wealthy in yellow carotenoid pigments, a few of that are integrated into the cream, to present a yellow tone to white.
The primary recorded use of cream as a shade title in English was in 1590.
|HSV (h, s, v)||(22°, 21%, 100%)|
|sRGBB (r, g, b)||(255, 221, 202)|
|ISCC–NBS descriptor||Pale orange yellow|
|B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)
H: Normalized to [0–100] (hundred)
Unbleached silk is among the Japanese conventional colours in use since starting in 660 CE within the type of numerous dyes
which might be utilized in designing kimono.
The title of this shade in Japanese is shironeri.
The primary recorded use of Tuscan as a shade title in English was in 1887.
Buff is a pale yellow-brown shade that received its title from the colour of buffed leather-based.
Based on the Oxford English Dictionary, buff as a descriptor of a shade was first used within the London Gazette of 1686, describing a uniform to be “A Purple Coat with a Buff-colour’d lining”.
The colour desert sand could also be considered a deep shade of beige. It’s a pale tint of a shade known as desert. The colour title “desert” was first utilized in 1920.
Within the 1960s the American Phone & Telegraph Firm (AT&T) marketed desert sand–coloured telephones for places of work and houses. Nevertheless, they described the colour as “beige”. It’s due to this fact widespread for many individuals to discuss with the colour desert sand as “beige”.
|Lookup ecru in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Initially within the 19th century and as much as at the least 1930, the colour ecru meant precisely the identical shade as beige (i.e. the pale cream shade proven above as beige), and the phrase is usually used to discuss with such materials as silk and linen of their unbleached state. Ecru comes from the French phrase écru, which implies actually “uncooked” or “unbleached”.
Since at the least the 1950s, nonetheless, the shade ecru has been considered a distinct shade from beige, presumably with the intention to enable inside designers a wider palette of colours to select from.
Khaki was designated within the 1930 guide A Dictionary of Coloration, the usual for shade nomenclature earlier than the introduction of computer systems.
The primary recorded use of khaki as a shade title in English was in 1848.
Mild French beige
Mild French beige is the colour known as beige on the pourpre.com web site, a shade record broadly standard in France.
The primary recorded use of French beige as a shade title in English was in 1927.
Mode beige is a really darkish shade of beige.
Two different different names for this actual shade are drab and sand dune, in use, respectively, since 1686 and 1925.
The primary recorded use of mode beige as a shade title in English was in 1928.
Beige is typically used as a metaphor for one thing which is bland, boring or typical. On this sense it’s utilized in contradistinction to extra vibrant and thrilling (or extra particular person) colours.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Webster’s New World Dictionary of the English Language, 1964
- Macmillan On-Line Dictionary.
- Le Petit Robert Dictionnaire.
- Harper, Douglas. “beige”. On-line Etymology Dictionary.
- Maerz and Paul (1930). A Dictionary of Color. New York, McGraw-Hill, web page 190; Coloration Pattern of Beige: Web page 45 Plate 11 Coloration Pattern C2. The colour proven above matches the colour pattern within the guide.
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 206; Coloration Pattern of Cream: Web page 41 Plate 9 Coloration Pattern D4 The colour proven above matches the colour pattern within the guide.
- Nagasaki, Seiki. Nihon no dentoshoku : sono shikimei to shikicho, Seigensha, 2001. ISBN 4-916094-53-0
- Nihon Shikisai Gakkai. Shinpen shikisai kagaku handobukku, Tokyo Daigaku Shuppankai, 1985. ISBN 4-13-061000-7
- internet.forret.com Coloration Conversion Software set to hex code #FAD6A5 (Tuscan):
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 206; Coloration Pattern of Tuscan: Web page 43 Plate 10 Coloration Pattern E5
- Paterson, Ian (2003), A Dictionary of Color (1st paperback ed.), London: Thorogood (revealed 2004), p. 73, ISBN 1-85418-375-3, OCLC 60411025
- “buff, adj.1”. Oxford English Dictionary. OUP. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- internet.forret.com Coloration Conversion Software set to hex code of shade #EDC9AF (Desert Sand):
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York: 1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 194; Coloration Pattern of Desert: Web page 47 Plate 12 Coloration Pattern I7
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 149—Dialogue of the colour Beige (proven on this guide’s shade pattern as being the identical shade that’s displayed as “beige” within the Wikipedia shade field proven above) notes that beige is precisely the identical shade as Ecru.
- “1955 ISCC-NBS shade chart (scanned onto the Web) reveals ecru as being a distinct shade than beige)”. Archived from the unique on 2012-11-22. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 197; Coloration Pattern of Khaki: Web page 49 Plate 13 Coloration Pattern J7
- internet.forret.com Coloration Conversion Software set to hex code of shade #C8AD7F (Mild French Beige):
- internet.forret.com Coloration Conversion Software set to hex code of shade #A67B5B (French Beige):
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 195; Coloration Pattern of French beige: Web page 49 Plate 13 Coloration Pattern A7
- internet.forret.com Coloration Conversion Software set to hex code of shade #967117 (Mode Beige):
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 50
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 194
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 204
- Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Coloration New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Web page 199; Coloration Pattern of Mode Beige: Web page 47 Plate 14 Coloration Pattern B5
- St. Clair, Kassia (2016). The Secret Lives of Color. London: John Murray. p. 58–59. ISBN 9781473630819. OCLC 936144129.
|Lookup beige in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|