Newbie stage: cycle 1
Les 2 ~ Lesson 2
Onbekenden en vrienden ~ Strangers and Pals
|• Easy conversations II|
|• Grammar: Introduction to Verbs|
|• Adjectives, demonstratives and articles|
|• Syntax: Query and negation|
- First push the button to easily take heed to the next dialog.
- Then examine the textual content to search out out what the which means is. If needed, hover your mouse over a if you do not know it. When you assume you perceive the dialog open the dropdown beneath to see the complete translation.
- Lastly take heed to the dialog once more and see how a lot you perceive. First with eyes open to see the textual content. Then do it with eyes closed.
- If there are components you don’t perceive when listening, return to step 2.
- Lastly use the vocabulary field on the precise to memorize the vocabulary materials
|heten||to be known as|
|allebei||each of us/them and so on.|
Pronunciation drill 2-1. Hoe heet u?
Grammatica 2-1 ~ Introduction to Verbs
A verb (in Dutch: werkwoord) is that a part of speech that describes an motion. Verbs are available an virtually bewildering array of tenses, moods, voices and facets, and there are a number of main varieties: intransitive, transitive, ditransitive, and ergative verbs.
Fortuitously, the Dutch verb is just not too totally different from the English one, though it does have a number of extra kinds.
I am known as Standish Ik heet Standish What are you known as (named)? Hoe heet u? ...that she is known as (known as) 'Alice' ...dat ze 'Alice' heet We are each known as Robert Wij heten allebei Robert
|Within the clips for heten and geloven the previous tense and the previous participle are additionally given.
It’s customary to memorize these three primitive types of the verb, however we’ll take care of that later.
The Dutch verb heten can greatest be translated as “to be named” or “to be known as” and we see two types of it right here
- a singular one: heet used with ik,u,ze
- a plural one heten used for wij (as effectively the opposite plural individuals).
Truly there are often three kinds. This may be seen from:
|I consider||Ik geloof|
|do you consider?||gelooft u?|
Within the case of heten the additional -t doesn’t get added as a result of the stem already ends in a -t.
In a later lesson we’ll revisit the verb kinds related to every individual.
The irregular verb to be–zijn has a number of extra kinds in each languages.
Gesprek 2-2 ~ De Engelsman
First push the arrow button to take heed to the next dialog. Then examine the interpretation and hover over every phrase you have no idea to search out out what it means. When you perceive the narrative run the audio once more, following alongside, ensuring you realize what’s being stated. Use the pronunciation field on the precise to additional strengthen your comprehension each in listening and in studying.
Fill within the clean 2-2-F
Say the phrase you assume that belongs within the clean and use the hover methodology to verify your selection
- Mevrouw Nieman wil Standish haar collega
- Mr. Standish vraag of ze een beetje wil spreken.
- Mr. Standish bezoekt de .
- Mevrouw Nieman vraagt of Standish Nederlands kan
Vocabulary drill 2-1
In fact memorizing phrases and expressions is a crucial a part of studying any language and there are numerous methods of doing that. Take a look on the vocabulary pages. They’re designed that will help you purchase extra phrases in a playful method.
Grammatica 2-2 ~ Inversion in questions and negations
You could have puzzled in regards to the order of the phrases in
- ik geloof dat ze Alice heet.
Although Dutch verbs usually are not a lot extra sophisticated than English ones, phrase order is. The truth is it’s fairly a bit extra sophisticated than in English. For the second let’s simply depart the above sentence for what it’s and begin with questions.
A query sentence in Dutch merely reverses the order of topic and verb.
Recall: U heet meneer Standish (‘You’re named Mr. Standish).
It turned: Hoe heet u? as a query
The conventional phrase order of topic (u or “you”) then verb (heten) is reversed and, on this case, an interrogative (hoe or “how”) added.
|Hoe gaat het met u?||↔||Het gaat goed met u|
|Bent u mevrouw Koopman?||↔||U bent mevrouw Koopman|
|Bent u Nederlander?||↔||U bent Nederlander (“You’re Dutch”).|
|Verstaat u mij?||↔||U verstaat mij (“You perceive me”).|
|Gelooft u?||↔||Ik geloof|
English does the identical factor when utilizing the verb to be:
- I’m – are you?
- ik ben – bent u?
Dutch does not use the auxiliary to do as English requires in most different instances:
- ik weet – weet u?
- I do know – are you aware? (as a substitute of “know you?”)
The adverse is shaped by merely including niet on the finish:
- Ik versta u – I perceive you
- Ik versta u niet – I don’t perceive you
Once more, Dutch does not use the auxiliary to do. (The truth is utilizing it sounds very overseas.)
Even a adverse query doesn’t use to do:
- Verstaat u mij niet? – Do not you perceive me?
Gesprek 2-3 ~ Het nieuwe meisje
On this dialog, the events are shut mates.
Fill within the clean 2-3-F
Use the hover methodology to verify your reply.
- Karel vraag aan Heleen wie dat nieuwe is.
- Karel vindt Karolien erg
- Heleen denkt dat Karel het lange zwarte leuk vindt.
- Karel is op dat haar.
Grammatica 2-2 Adjectives, demonstratives and articles
The place English makes use of the demonstrative pronoun that, Dutch makes use of both dat or die, recall:
- dat nieuwe meisje. Die brunette. – that new woman, that brunette
Equally, the place English makes use of the article the, Dutch has two prospects: de or het, recall:
- de boekhouding, het meisje. – the administration, the woman
We’ll revisit this phenomenon (gender) within the subsequent lesson extra extensively. There’s a little bit of an issue with it in Dutch.
For the second it is sufficient to notice that there are two sorts of phrases,
- ones that take de and die
- ones that take het and dat
For that reason it’s advisable to all the time memorize a phrase collectively with its particular article, e.g. as “de boekhouding”, not merely as “boekhouding”.
Each articles and demonstrative pronouns are a particular type of adjectives: phrases which can be added to make the which means of one other phrase extra exact, like new, small or thrilling
Recall that some adjectives within the dialogue led to -e (mooie meid), generally they did not (is erg mooi).
Adjectives can be utilized in two methods: in entrance of a noun and after a verb like is (a copula). In English the adjective stays the identical regardless:
- The home is crimson (copula + adjective)
- The crimson automotive (adjective + noun)
Behind a copula (as predicate) that is true in Dutch as effectively:
- Ik ben gek (I’m loopy)
- Ze is mooi (She is fairly)
- De auto is rood (The automotive is crimson)
However in Dutch they’re inflected in the event that they happen in entrance of a noun (as attribute). Evaluate:
- de rode auto – the crimson automotive
- een rode auto – a crimson automotive
- de rode auto’s – the crimson vehicles
- rode auto’s – crimson vehicles
Neuter phrases are those that carry the particular article het and the demonstrative dat. They’re a bit totally different (Once more: we’ll revisit them within the subsequent lesson.)
- het rode huis
- een rood huis – a crimson home
- de rode huizen
- rode huizen
As you see the adjective is just not inflected after the indefinite article een.
This additionally holds if there isn’t a article:
- met groot gemak – with nice ease (het gemak: neuter)
- in hoge nood – in desparate want (de nood)
Thus, aside from the indefinite neuter an attributive adjective is often inflected with -e.
There are a number of exceptions, evaluate e.g.:
- de man – the person
- een grote man – an enormous man
- een groot man – an amazing man
Making nouns out of adjectives
Adjectives may be become nouns, by assuming their inflected kind:
- Dat is een grote
- That could be a massive one
- Dat is een kleine
- That could be a small one
- Die lange heeft mijn fiets gestolen
- That tall man has stolen my bike
Discover that Dutch doesn’t use ‘one’ in such instances.
There are a selection of adjectives that may be become nouns by including -te. All of them carry de. In English the corresponding suffix is -th:
- wijd – wijdte (extensive – width)
- lang – lengte (lengthy, tall – size)
- groot – grootte (massive – dimension)
- breed – breedte (broad – breadth)
- eng – engte (slim – narrowness)
- zwaar – zwaarte (heavy – heaviness)
- heet – hitte (scorching – warmth)
- heat – warmte (heat – heat)
- zwak – zwakte (weak – weak spot)
- sterk – sterkte (sturdy – energy)
- droog – droogte (dry – drought)
- hoog – hoogte (excessive – peak)
- menig – menigte (many – crowd)
- duur – duurte (costly – dearth)
- gewoon – gewoonte (traditional – behavior)
Extra about nouns within the subsequent lesson.
|Dutch phrase||audio file||English translation|
|het haar, de haren||haar (assist·data)||hair(s)|
|het meisje, de meisjes||meisje (assist·data)||woman, women|
|de collega||collega (assist·data)||colleague|
|Magazine ik…voorstellen?||magazine ik voorstellen? (assist·data)||Could I introduce…?|
|Jazeker||jazeker (assist·data)||sure, certainly|
kennis te maken
| aangenaam (assist·data)
|Happy to satisfy you|
|Goed zo!||goedzo (assist·data)||That is good!|
|gek zijn (op)|| gek (assist·data)
|to be loopy (about)|
|verstaan||verstaan (assist·data)||to know|
|verstaat u?||do you perceive?|
|geloven||geloven (assist·data)||to consider|
|ik geloof||I consider|
|heten||heten (assist·data)||to call, name (a reputation)|
|ze heet||she is named|
|praten||praten (assist·data)||to talk, to speak|
|u praat||you communicate|
|voorstellen||voorstellen (assist·data)||to introduce|
|leuk vinden|| leuk (assist·data)
|als je … leuk vindt||when you like …|
|het (neuter)||het (assist·data)||the|
|de (m/f)||de (assist·data)||the|
|dat (neuter)||dat (assist·data)||that|
|die (m/f)||die (assist·data)||that|
|daarginds||daarginds (assist·data)||over there|
|daarachter||daarachter (assist·data)||over there|
|een||een (assist·data)||a, an|
|een beetje||beetje (assist·data)||considerably, a bit|
|kort, korte||kort (assist·data)||quick|
|lang, lange||lang (assist·data)||lengthy|
|nieuw, nieuwe||nieuw (assist·data)||new|
|zwart, zwarte||zwart (assist·data)||black|
The vocabulary may be practiced as Quizlet (30 phrases)
When you’ve got studied the above lesson effectively it is best to have
- been launched to verbs within the current tense
- been launched to 1 aspect of phrase order: inversion
- turn out to be capable of ask a query
- turn out to be capable of make a sentence adverse with niet
- been launched to adjectives and their inflection
- gained vocabulary
Cumulative vocabulary depend:
- Les 1: 116 phrases, Les 1A: 89 phrases. Instance 1: 21 phrases Complete 226 phrases.
- Les 2: 82 phrases Complete 82 phrases
- Grand complete 308 phrases
Pronunciation Information >>