Sugar Rush is a critically acclaimed British tv comedy drama collection developed by Shine Restricted and broadcast by Channel 4, based mostly on the Julie Burchill novel of the identical identify. It’s centred across the lifetime of 15 12 months outdated lesbian Kim Daniels who, at first of the primary season, strikes from London to Brighton, the place she meets future greatest good friend and love curiosity Maria “Sugar” Candy, a rebellious, promiscuous, binge-drinking, drug-taking, shoplifting, street-smart younger woman of Kim’s age. Kim turns into sexually obsessive about Sugar, and the present’s first season centres round Kim struggling together with her sexuality and her emotions for Sugar, whereas on the identical time attempting to take care of her dysfunctional household (mother and father Nathan and Stella, and her youthful brother, Matt) and the undesirable advances of her next-door neighbour, Tom. The second season reveals Kim as out and proud, however with a brand new love curiosity, Saint, after having gotten over her obsession with Sugar (the 2 are, nevertheless, nonetheless greatest associates), and, as all the time, coping with her mother and father and youthful brother.
The primary collection was broadcast in 2005 on Channel 4. The second collection was broadcast on Channel Four on 15 June 2006, and the final episode was aired on 17 August 2006 on Channel 4, and on 10 August 2006 on digital channel E4.
A 3rd season was rumoured, nevertheless it in the end appears that it’ll by no means see the sunshine of day, attributable to Channel 4’s cancellation of the present. This transfer outraged viewers and critics, in addition to the present’s two stars, Olivia Hallinan and Lenora Crichlow.
To not be confused with the Disney animated movie Wreck-It Ralph, which was launched beneath the title Sugar Rush in Japan, or the Fictional Video Sport from the movie that offered that title.
This present supplies examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Sugar has her moments, though she is a much less snobby model.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Mother and father: Stella and Nathan. Particularly Stella.
- Annoying Youthful Sibling: Matt is a gentle instance, extra within the first season than the second.
- Aw, Look! They Actually Do Love Every Different: Kim and Sugar have many moments like this.
- Higher as Buddies: Within the second season finale, Kim and Sugar conclude that they’re higher off as associates, and that Kim deserves to be with Saint.
- Bittersweet Ending: The endings of each seasons.
- Bumbling Dad: Nathan.
- Buttmonkey: Nathan and Tom.
- Informal Kink: Kim tries out spanking early within the second season. Later, she and Saint present that they get pleasure from a little bit of delicate BDSM.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Kim develops a short relationship with a woman known as Beth. Nevertheless, on the finish of the penultimate episode of the primary season, she stands her up on a date. Beth is rarely seen from, and even talked about, once more.
- Tom, Kim’s bumbling but candy neighbour who has an enormous crush on her, has utterly disappeared by Season 2 and isn’t talked about once more.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Matt, particularly within the first season, by which he (amongst different issues) believes himself to be an alien, paints himself and his pet hamster blue (an act which kills the unlucky hamster), and devours an enormous quantity of tablets as a result of he believes them to be “area meals”. By the second season, nevertheless, he’s significantly much less weird, almost certainly attributable to him maturing.
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Coming-Out Story: Kim would not a lot come out to her mother and father – extra like her mother and father determine it out after they uncover her in mattress with Sugar.
- Remedy Your Gays: In a single episode, Kim attends a membership, headed by a preacher, who believes he can “treatment” homosexual folks. Despite the entire thing making her uncomfortable, she attends attributable to being so determined to recover from Sugar. Sarcastically, she finally ends up falling for a woman known as Beth while there, and it later seems that Beth was solely attending the conferences within the first place simply so she may pull somebody.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Kim could be very… keen on her electrical toothbrush.
- Daydream Shock: Crops up a number of occasions. Heck, the primary jiffy of every season begin out this fashion.
- Deadpan Snarker: Most of Kim’s interior monologue. Hardly shocking actually.
- Catastrophe Dominoes: Who’d have thought Sugar’s dose of crabs would have precipitated a lot bother?
- Dropped A Bridge On Her: Tom’s canine, Vanessa.
- Erotic Consuming: Just a few occasions, often when Kim is watching Sugar eat.
- When Nathan and Stella reconcile after the latter’s affair, they try to boost their love life with meals play. It goes horribly improper.
- Fille Fatale: Sugar within the first season.
- French Jerk: Guillaume, a love curiosity of Sugar’s.
- Friendship Second
- Gayngst: Kim has some components of this (primarily within the first season), nevertheless it’s largely all the way down to the same old teenage angst current in numerous 15-year-olds, and her personal confusion about her sexuality.
- The Ghost: Sugar’s household.
- Goth: Matt turns into one in Season 2 – to the extent of sleeping in a coffin.
- Inexperienced-Eyed Monster: In Season 2, Sugar is clearly jealous of Kim being concerned with Saint. Additionally, within the early levels of their relationship, Kim falsely assumes that Saint remains to be sleeping together with her ex-boyfriend.
- Guile Hero: Kim, though her schemes usually have a tendency in the direction of the zany.
- Have I Talked about I Am Heterosexual As we speak?: Tom does this so much early within the first season, as a result of…
- Has Two Daddies: … he has two homosexual dads.
- Hopeless Suitor: Tom in the direction of Kim.
- I Name Him “Mister Glad”: Nathan calls his penis “Mr. Perky”.
- If It is You, It is Okay: Sugar in the direction of Kim.
- Indulgent Fantasy Segue: Kim has a lot of those.
She’s fucking the decorator!
- Harmless Innuendo: Ceaselessly.
- Jerkass: Sugar is one numerous the time, however she does have her Jerk with a Coronary heart of Gold moments. Even Kim comes throughout as a Jerkass on just a few events, however she not often has anybody name her out on it.
- Guillaume and Dale additionally qualify.
- Jizzed in My Pants: Occurs to Tom as soon as when Sugar takes him dwelling.
- Kissing Beneath the Affect: Type of. When Kim and Sugar kiss within the nightclub, they’re each excessive on Ecstasy. Nevertheless, whereas Kim has clearly needed all of it alongside, Sugar is merely utilizing the kiss to draw a boy whom she later finally ends up kissing, to Kim’s devastation.
- Final Minute Hookup: Kim and Sugar on the finish of the primary season, although performed with in that Sugar’s predominant motive is guilt, and it’s proven to be solely short-term (judging by the beginning of the second season).
- Love Hurts
- Love Triangle: Sugar/Kim/Saint, Tom/Kim/Beth.
- Manipulative Bitch: Sugar, Stella, and infrequently even Kim.
- Maternally Challenged: Stella.
- Significant Identify: Saint. A variety of Season 2 will be summed up as “Kim does one thing silly, however Saint forgives her anyway. Repeat.”
- The humorous factor is that, within the e-book, Saint was a snobby bitch who was solely nicknamed Saint for sheer irony.
- Temper Whiplash: The previous couple of minutes of Episode 9 of the primary season, and the primary half of the next episode. Throughout a comparatively nice, loved-up episode which options Kim seeing a woman known as Beth, after which going to satisfy her for a date close to the top of the episode, she all of the sudden receives a cellphone name… from a frightened, crying Sugar, coated in blood. Within the subsequent episode, it seems that Sugar stabbed somebody. Who noticed that coming?
- Close to-Rape Expertise: Kim considers going forward with date raping Sugar, however she backs out of it after spending numerous the episode debating about whether or not it’s proper or improper, and feels extremely responsible about the entire thing.
- Not That There’s Something Fallacious with That: Sugar, to some lesbians while she’s operating Saint’s store, explaining that she’s straight.
- Solely Recognized by Their Nickname: Sugar, clearly (actual identify Maria Candy), and Saint (her actual first identify is revealed to be Sarah within the collection, and Zoe within the e-book).
- Pantyshot: Within the opening credit, no much less.
- Parallel Porn Titles: In a single episode, Stella’s lover, Dale, is heard ordering a porn film with the title of Chitty Chitty Gang Bang.
- Parental Abandonment: By the second season, Sugar’s mom clearly has little interest in her daughter in anyway.
- Parental Points: Sugar and each of her mother and father. Within the first season, she usually talks about how her father was a serial cheater who walked out on her, her mom, and her brother. Within the second season, her mom strikes away and successfully abandons Sugar.
- Parental Substitute: Nathan and Stella take Sugar in after she is launched from jail.
- Mother and father as Folks: Performed straight with Stella and Nathan.
- Plot Gap: On the finish of the second season, Stella reveals that she is pregnant, and, though unsure, she thinks that Nathan would be the father, as he’s the one one allowed to not use a condom (the couple are swingers). Nevertheless, within the first season, Stella claims that Nathan has had a vasectomy. Whereas it’s, in uncommon instances, attainable for individuals who have “had the snip” to get somebody pregnant, you’d assume that the present would handle Nathan’s vasectomy throughout the being pregnant storyline. Until, after all, Stella was mendacity in regards to the “snip”, for some motive.
- Primal Scene: Kim finds out about Stella and Dale’s affair when she walks in on them having intercourse (loudly) in the lounge.
- Rape as Drama: Used successfully with the (off-screen) rape of Sugar.
- Actual Tune Theme Tune: Blondie’s “One Manner Or One other”.
- Actually Will get Round: Sugar, primarily within the first season.
- “The Motive You Suck” Speech: Kim delivers one to Sugar within the first season finale: Kim: Its all the time going to be like this, isnt it? You name, I come operating. You say ‘bounce’, I say ‘how excessive?’. Translating for French guys, shopping for stuff with my mums bank card, snogging you to tug another person. Identify one factor youve performed for me. One factor. One sodding factor.
- Document Needle Scratch: A number of occasions.
- Romantic False Lead: Saint qualifies because the extra sympathetic model of the false lead. Though Sugar insists she is not keen on Kim, her prompt dislike of Saint and close to steady efforts to sabotage the connection one time she claims Saint got here on to her, one other she robs her store counsel in any other case. If it had continued for an additional collection these points may need been resolved, however alas…
- One other instance can be Beth from the primary season.
- Say My Identify: Sugar, after being left on the jail gates. “KIZZAAAAA!”
- She Cleans Up Properly: Melissa.
- Single-Goal Sexuality: Averted – Kim initially thinks that she solely likes Sugar and never another ladies, however, after assembly Beth, she realises in any other case.
- One thing Else Additionally Rises
- Sorry, I am Homosexual: Kim has to inform Tom (who has an enormous crush on her) that she’s homosexual when he is not going to get the trace that she is not keen on him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Kim’s behaviour in the direction of Sugar has components of this. To a a lot lesser extent, Tom in the direction of Kim.
- That Poor Cat: Apparently cats do not like having electrical toothbrushes-cum-vibrators thrown out of home windows at them.
- Time Skip: Season 2 is ready 18 months after the primary.
- Poisonous Good friend Affect: Sugar and Kim, though to a considerably lesser diploma than is introduced in numerous different fiction.
- Transvestite: Matt has his moments within the second season, notably with him attempting on his mom’s underwear as a result of he “likes it”. It’s performed straight and heartwarmingly, and is rarely depicted to be overly comical or “improper”.
Nathan: (holding up a pair of girls’s underwear) You do know they’re for women, do not you?
Matt: Girls really.
Nathan: Precisely, they’re for girls and never for males. Such as you and me.
Matt: What? I like them.
Nathan: I am sorry, Matt, you may’t put on them.
- Volleying Insults: Often Kim and Matt.
- Kim and Sugar additionally do it typically, though they’re solely teasing one another.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: In Episode 7 of Season 1, a heartbroken Kim stumbles out of the nightclub and graphically pukes over the ground.
- Who’s Your Daddy?: Close to the top of the second season, Stella reveals that she is pregnant. Though she is definite that Nathan is the daddy, there may be nonetheless some uncertainty, attributable to the truth that Stella and Nathan are swingers. Sadly, because of the collection’ cancellation, this plot level went no additional.